Hamamelis vernalis

Winter days can be drab in my neck of the woods. Hamamelis vernalis, commonly called Ozark witch hazel, provides a touch of joy to our garden. Having fragrant flowers that bloom despite the winter's hold on the landscape gets me through the tail end of the dormant season. The strong scent lures one in before even noticing the somewhat discreet flowers. 

Southern Meadows Blog

The leaves often persist through winter, concealing the star shaped flowers. Unlike the non-native species that are showy from a distance, Hamamelis vernalis requires a closer look to appreciate the orange/red inner calyx and bright yellow streamers. 

Southern Meadows Blog

Much like beech trees, the crinkled foliage rustles when the winter wind blows. But, on warm winter days, the aromatic blooms tempt pollinators that are brave enough to venture out of their dwellings. 

Southern Meadows Blog
hover fly (Syrpidae)

Pollinating flies commonly appear on warmer days, which are unpredictable and perhaps explain why this plant has such a long flowering time (December - March). Since there is always a relationship between plant and pollinator(s) one can assume that the flower characteristics are intended for particular pollinators.  

Southern Meadows Blog
green bottle fly (Calliphoridae)

An under appreciated insect in the garden green bottle flies (blow flies) are important agents in decomposition (larva stage) as well as pollinators (adult stage). Attracted to the color yellow and fragrant flowers, the adults visit flowers for nectar and pollen, an important protein source, especially for females.

This witch hazel's native range is the Ozarks highlands of Missouri, Arkansas and Eastern Oklahoma, growing in wetland areas alongside streams. It does perform well in the clay soils of the Georgia Piedmont and makes an excellent addition to a garden landscape in sun to part shade situation.

I'm late joining Clay & Limestone for Wildflower Wednesday this month, but it's never too late to celebrate flowers that bloom this time of year and kick off the spring flowering season! 

Comments

  1. I am sad, I can't smell my Witch Hazel. The scent doesn't register to me. I know some fragrances stand out to some people. I remember in Virginia the clove fragrance of Witch Hazels in our Learning Garden with the Master Gardeners. So strange. Yours are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This witch hazel is in our patio garden so we can enjoy the scent on a warm winter day. So sorry you miss out on this gorgeous smell.

      Delete
  2. I notice the flies on mine, as well as tiny little gnats. The smell is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to watch and see who shows up. I am completely fascinating by the relationship between pollinators and flowers!

      Delete
  3. They are really special, aren't they? I don't have any here, but there are some in the Arboretum. I should head over there for a late winter/early spring hike one of these days. Amazing photographs, Karin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I love visiting arboretums to get inspiration and enjoy plants that are not necessarily in my garden!

      Delete
  4. I have the H. virginiana, but not this one. Very interesting about the bow flies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great one too! Interesting how they bloom at different times of year.

      Delete
  5. Rustling leaves, that is something for me to imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Witch hazel is on my list for the back border - I'm really surprised at how long this one blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very unusual and very pretty plant to see. I've only seen it in a public garden here in New Zealand.

    Feel free to share at My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

One of my favorite things about blogging is the conversation with readers. Leave a comment and let's get talking. ~Karin

Popular Posts