WATERMELON ON A HOT SUMMER DAY

It has been blazing hot this July! Honestly, I haven't done much in the way of gardening except water and under the tutelage of the Georgia Governor the occasional rain dance. My feeble efforts have merely resulted in the plants meagerly surviving. In the early morning I scout the yard to see what plants have become the latest victims of voles, chipmunks, deer or any number of other animals also trying to survive this oppressive heat.

But, there is always a silver lining, right? Well, this summer its watermelon.
Sometime in June my husband notice some vines coming up in the knock-out roses. Coincidentally, where our kids had spit watermelon seeds. Well, he decided to leave them alone and see what would happen. Well, this is what has happened: despite very little rain and the oppressive heat the watermelon plant spread vigorously between the roses and even onto the lawn.



Yesterday we were poking around to see if the plant had actually produced any fruit and much to our surprise and delight we have 3 watermelons that are coming along very well.


Now, I have never grown watermelon before so I am not sure when to know if it is ready to harvest. I guess it will be a little bit of guess work and since we have at least 3 melons we will have several chances to get it right. I am so looking forward to biting into a nice sweet & juicy watermelon. It will really hit the spot on a hot & humid August afternoon!

Comments

Popular Posts