the beginings of gardening for wildlife





Today I am sure no one needs to be told that the more birds a yard can
support, the fewer insects there will be to trouble the gardener the following
year.- Thalassa Cruso



I have lots of birds which grace my yard...Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Indigo Bunting, Nuthatches, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Great Horned Owl, Carolina Chickadee, Red-tailed Hawk, Mourning Dove, and Ruby-throated Hummingbird to name a few. For the most part the birds are feed from my many feeders or what nature provides in the form of rabbits, mice, snakes, insects....


My desire to expand the offerings by gardening for wildlife has resulted in researching various plant options that will attract birds by providing a source of food, protection and place to raise their family. My most recent purchase is a Callicarpa 'Early Amethyst' bush for my woodland garden. It has very showy purple fruit right now that will last into winter. In summer it will add some color in the garden with its lilac flowers. I am very excited about this new addition and have already witnessed birds inspecting the berries!

Comments

Popular Posts